Seth Hall for Congress Platform to Build a Better Kentucky and America
As a strong Democrat, I believe every person has the right to live a full, meaningful life with equal access to our Constitutional rights of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”. This platform is my statement of principles and positions. As a Democrat, party leader, and elected official, I commit myself to the following goals.
HEALTH and HUMAN SERVICES.
“No parent should have to decide if they can afford to save their child’s life,” Jimmy Kimmel
- Healthcare is a basic human right.
- Fully fund addiction prevention and recovery programs to combat the deadly opioid crisis.
- Provide full access to comprehensive healthcare for women, including reproductive healthcare and women’s cancer prevention, screening, and treatment.
- Protect a woman’s right to choose, and work to provide alternatives that will help reduce the need for an abortion.
- Refuse to let being a woman be a “pre-existing condition” for healthcare insurance.
- Protect Medicare, Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act to ensure all residents have access to healthcare, regardless of employment or income.
- Change the ACA to make it function better – don’t repeal the ACA and just “hope for the best”.
- Demand lower prices for pharmaceuticals.
- Support medical research to prevent, treat, and cure chronic and debilitating diseases.
- Invest in community-based mental health services.
- Ensure that no one in the United States shall go hungry or be “food insecure”.
ECONOMIC GROWTH, LABOR and WORKFORCE
“Give Kentuckians a Raise”
- Increase the minimum wage.
- Work for incentives for corporations to create more jobs.
- Promote economic equality by encouraging collective bargaining, increased unionization, and both shared and employee ownership.
- Strengthen our focus on innovation -- including manufacturing, clean energy and biotech sectors.
- Revitalize the hardest-hit manufacturing communities.
- Create incentives to bring jobs back to the U.S.
- Provide government funding for infrastructure modernization
- Bring renewable energy jobs to Kentucky – manufacturing of solar, wind, and other “green” components.
- Shift the tax burden from the working class to the wealthy by creating equitable corporate and personal taxes and fees.
- Protect pensions
- Include Teachers back into Social Security so they may also gain Social Security survivor benefits and Social Security for other wages jobs.
- Eliminate the taxes on Social Security Income
- Include in all Federal Contracts provisions to give preferred status to contactors with Union labor
FREE, HIGH-QUALITY PUBLIC EDUCATION
“Invest in Your Future”
- Increase the number of pathways to the high skills/high knowledge economy through career readiness programs, vocational-technical schools, community colleges, and universities.
- Provide a free, high quality education for every person -- from preschool through college and/or vocational education. Debt won’t hold you back.
- Invest in early childhood education via Head Start and quality preschool access for all 4 year-olds.
- Meet the needs of student parents by providing childcare and scholarships.
- Hold colleges accountable for controlling costs and making tuition affordable.
- Assert strong oversight and regulation of for-profit colleges.
- Provide for refinancing of existing student debt at a lower rate.
- Close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color, low income students, English language learners, and students with disabilities.
- Increase Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) curriculum in our schools.
EQUAL TREATMENT of ALL PEOPLE
“Be the Shining City on the Hill”
- Guarantee equal treatment for women and people of color in the workplace -- pay, hiring, promotions, etc.
- Promote programs that provide opportunities for women, people of color, and millennials.
- Work to get money out of politics by overturning the “Citizens United” ruling.
- Prevent discrimination against LGTBQ Americans.
- Address domestic abuse and sexual assault with strong preventative measures, including age-appropriate anti-violence education.
VOTING and DEMOCRACY
“Every Citizen Votes”
- Make voter registration as easy as possible by offering same day voter registration and automatic voter registration.
- Ensure early voting in all elections.
- Work for an end to gerrymandering. Representatives shouldn’t pick their voters; voters should pick their representatives!
- Refuse to accept efforts to impose unnecessary requirements to voting. These are designed to disenfranchise communities of color, as well as low income, disabled, elderly, and new voters.
- Guarantee voting systems that count every ballot and provide an auditable paper
- Declare Election Day a state holiday to encourage maximum participation.
- Protect journalists and judges from intimidation.
- Impose consequences on any foreign government that interferes in a U.S. election.
ENVIRONMENT, CLIMATE CHANGE and RENEWABLE ENERGY
“Protect our Planet -- it is all we have”
- Support clean-energy technologies, conservation, and energy efficiency.
- Make America the world’s clean-energy superpower and meet the climate challenge.
- Protect the environment; including wildlife, commercial, and domesticated animals.
- Support local and sustainable agriculture to help grow rural communities, and protect open spaces and the environment.
- Prepare for the anticipated impacts of climate change, and communicate with the public about the realities of those impacts.
- Promote transportation solutions aimed at reducing greenhouse gases.
- Invest in wind, solar, and other renewable energy sources to replace fossil fuels.
ETHICS and TRANSPARENCY
“Let’s Do the Right Things Right”
- Support the adoption of term limits. (I will limit myself to four terms for a total of 8 years.)
- Hold public hearings and provide other opportunities for citizens to influence the legislative process.
- Provide for public financing of elections to reduce the influence corporate special interests have on candidates and elected officials, and to increase the opportunity for every citizen to run for public
- Get “dark money” out of elections by overturning the Citizen’s United ruling.
- Require disclosure of tax returns for Presidential candidates.
“Lifting others up”
- Upgrade the existing rental housing supply, and increase efforts at all levels of government to encourage the production of new rental units.
- Support policies and projects focused on transit-oriented development.
- Fund additional rental assistance and low-income housing opportunities statewide, especially those for the disabled and senior populations.
- Increase funding for homeless assistance programs.
- Create support that people do not lose their homes during economic hard times and provide assistance for people to own their own homes.
“We are all immigrants”
- Implement comprehensive immigration reform with a pathway to citizenship and priority to keep families together.
- Eliminate policies that make local and state officials responsible for the enforcement of national immigration laws.
- Support the DREAM Act and extend equal access to higher education to all residents, not just citizens.
JUSTICE, CIVIL RIGHTS and CIVIL LIBERTIES
“Justice is blind … but it shouldn’t be deaf”
- Fight for equal justice under the law for all.
- Protect our rights to freedom of speech, religion, press, and due process under the law.
- End racial and religious profiling.
- Invest in equal opportunities for employment, education, healthcare, and housing for all.
- Recognize the role our government plays in protecting individual civil rights and civil liberties.
- Continue to vigilantly support marriage equality.
- Continue broad-range support for LGBTQ+ rights, including protecting the transgender civil rights law and opposing all forms of so-called “conversion therapy.”
PUBLIC SAFETY and CRIME PREVENTION
“For a safe and healthy nation”
- Support comprehensive criminal justice reform that includes giving judges discretion in sentencing.
- Work to prevent gun violence through strengthened background checks; semi-automatic assault weapons ban; holding irresponsible dealers and manufacturers accountable; and keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists, domestic abusers, violent criminals and the severely mentally ill.
- End for-profit prisons.
- Increase access to services for mental health, addiction treatment, jail diversion and rehabilitation.
- Ensure better resources for law enforcement (including corrections officers), firefighters, and additional first responders.
- Invest in proven opioid treatment and recovery programs to keep those struggling with addiction from entering the prison system.
- Invest in high school dropout-prevention programs to work toward eliminating the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Gradually reallocate state and local funds from policing and incarceration to long-term safety strategies such as education, local restorative justice services, and employment programs.
- Protect our Farmers with price protection so our food resources are not outsourced to endanger National Security.
SUPPORT for OUR VETERANS
“Leave no one behind”
- Stand with our veterans who have made sacrifices on our behalf and continue to be a strong voice for them and their families.
- Address critical issues facing our veterans, including: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder; mental health and suicide risk; Military Sexual Trauma; employment discrimination; delays in receiving services and benefits; and other health issues related to exposure to toxins.
- Fight to eliminate homelessness by investing in programs to create affordable housing options for veterans.
- Work to increase access to improved healthcare services for veterans and their families.
- Support our women veterans by working to improve gender-sensitive healthcare, employment opportunities, and access to services and resources.
- Ensure that our Vietnam and Vietnam-Era Veterans are honored for their service and given full support and access to benefits they earned and deserve.
- Recruit and support Democratic veteran candidates for political office through mentoring and training programs.
- Ensure the state’s higher education system is fully supportive and welcoming to student veterans and their families on all campuses and in all classrooms.
- Support the Veterans’ Preference Status within the Civil Service and State Governmental Hiring Systems.
- Work on programs to assist veterans with post-deployment integration.